- 4 large ripe tomatoes with stems
- 3 cups sunflower seeds, soaked overnight and drained
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup ripe red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- Cut tops off tomatoes, leaving the stem in place and set aside.
- Scoop out the pulp and seeds leaving ¼ inch around the outside edge and bottom.
- Blend sunflower seeds in food processor with 1/2 of the tomato pulp and turmeric until smooth.
- By hand mix remaining pulp, green onions, bell pepper, basil, and garlic into the blended mixture.
- Stuff tomatoes to the top and decorate with your favorite fresh minced herb.
- Carefully replace tops but be sure they are stuffed enough so that the stuffing shows under the lid
May add fresh corn kernels, shredded carrots, chopped cucumber, or chopped nuts if not using sunflower seeds.
Most of the foods in this recipe are low in Sodium, and very low in saturated fat and Cholesterol. They are a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Manganese, Selenium, Copper and Calcium. And they are a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Iron, Potassium, Manganese and Riboflavin.