Although tomatoes are considered to be vegetables, they actually belong to the fruit family, specifically to the family of berries. They originated in South America and were introduced to Europe by Spanish conquistadors in the 1500s.
VITAMINIS AND MINERALS Tomatoes are abundant in vitamins and minerals. Some of the vitamins found in organic tomatoes are Vitamins B1, B3, B2, B6, B5, C, A and E; while some of the minerals present are magnesium, potassium, iodine, zinc, iron, phosphorus and copper. Since, Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant it attacks the free radicals in your body that can cause cancer. Iron present in tomatoes maintains the health of blood while the health of nerve is protected by potassium. Vitamin K present in organic tomatoes can control bleeding and clotting of blood. Vitamin A improves vision and prevents blindness at night also macular degeneration.
Tomatoes are also a great source of:
Beta-carotene – (in the form of vitamin A) is associated with the prevention of cancer, heart disease, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
Lycopene – is the “Tomato’s Secret Weapon” and is connected to the prevention of heart disease and protection from several types of cancer, including breast, endometrial, colorectal, prostate, lung and pancreatic cancers.
Fiber – Dietary fiber is associated with the ability to lower cholesterol levels, blood sugar control and the prevention of colon cancer.
Antioxidants – The antioxidants in tomatoes are associated with the removal of free radicals in the body. Antioxidants both protect cells from damage and repair damaged cells.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF TOMATOES New health benefits of tomatoes keep on being discovered. There is quite a number of health benefits we get from eating tomatoes that are yet to be printed. Here are the well established benefits of tomatoes.
- Skin Care: – Tomatoes are the richest source of lycopene –a pigment that give tomatoes their red color. Lycopene is a powerful anti-oxidant compound that helps protect your skin from harmful ultra-violent rays of the sun. Vitamins A & C present also help prevent early wrinkles on the skin.
- Anti-oxidant Agent: – Tomatoes are rich in strong anti-oxidant like lycopene, zeaxanthin, beta carotene, lutein, xanthin…etc. These anti-oxidant properties work together to prevent or neutralize free radical cells that are known to cause chronic degenerative illnesses.
- Strong Bone: – Eating tomatoes frequently, gives you numerous minerals vital for strong bones. Calcium, phosphorous and vitamin K present help maintain strong teeth and bone density. Vitamin K activates a protein called osteocalcin that helps fastens calcium synthesis.
- Anti-cancer: – According to recent studies, lycopene has been found to be very effective in preventing some type of cancer especially prostate cancer. Lycopene and other anti-oxidant properties like beta-carotene are strong anti-cancer agents that help decrease cancer risks like lung, colon, and prostate cancer. They also inhabit the growth of other types of cancer cells.
- Improve Immunity: – Tomatoes house vital minerals and vitamins (A, B, C and E) that help the body build strong immunity to fight off infections.
- Prevent Heart diseases: – Folate, niacin and vitamin B6 help decrease heart related risks. Niacin helps reduce level of bad cholesterol in the blood while folate and vitamin B6 convert homocysteine that tends to damage blood vessel wall into other harmless molecules. Potassium mineral helps control and regulate heart rate.
- Anti-inflammatory: – Studies have shown that organically grown tomatoes contain high level of anti-inflammatory properties than non-organic tomatoes. Tomato skin is highly concentrated in boiflavonoids while its juice is packed with vitamin C. These properties help prevent and fight TNF-alpha –which is the leading cause of inflammation and allergic reaction. TNF-alpha has been associated with chronic degenerative diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis and several cancers…etc.
- Eye Sight: – Vitamin A, zeaxanthin, beta-carotene and other vital flavonoid compound help prevent and fight age related macular disease which is common in elderly persons by filtering harmful UV rays.
- Anemia: – Tomatoes contain outstanding amount of vitamin C and irons that are vital in production of hemoglobin and new red blood cells. They help increase the number of red blood cells in the blood and enhance oxygen supply throughout the body.
- Fatigue and stress: – Tomato juice is a wonderful electrolyte drink. Its rich in potassium, phosphorous and other minerals that help relieve symptoms of fatigue and stress.
A FEW HINTS ON BUYING AND STORING TOMATOES:
- Choose organic whenever possible as tomatoes absorb tons of pesticides.
- Buy from local farmers.
- Look for firm tomatoes with no bruises.
- When you get them home, remember never to store your tomatoes in the fridge. When cooled, tomatoes develop a mealy texture and tend to lose a lot of their flavor. Keep them on the counter out of direct sunlight so they retain their nutrition content and flavor.
- God’s Healing Plants is not licensed as, or designed to be, a healthcare facility; therefore we do not diagnose conditions, offer medical advice, or prescribe or administer medication.
- The nutrition and health information resented at the God’s Healing Plants Web Site is based on Scripture, research and personal experience, and is offered for educational purposes only.
- There can be risks involved when changing diet and lifestyle; therefore, as each guest chooses to make these types of changes, we at God’s Healing Plants cannot be held responsible or liable for any adverse effects or consequences that may result from your personal choices.